With gas prices at their all time high, here are some tips that will help you to reduce fuel costs and get better mileage while out there on that Summer road trip.
· Check your tire pressure often (great time to check for nails and/or an ex-girlfriend’s nail file jammed in the grooves).
· Avoid idling (fact: bank robbers may be single-handedly causing a fuel crisis)
· Keep your engine tuned regularly (keep it purring like a kitten…kittens eat less than a full grown cat)
· Check for extra junk in the trunk (d.i.v.o.r.c.e.)
· Be certain to use your manufacturer’s recommended grade of oil
· Keep it close to the speed limit on the highway. It will also save you from a ticket from Johnny Law.
· Try to coast to a stop. This will surely piss other people off (check…and check).
· Avoid slowly crawling up to a speed. 15 seconds to accellerate to 50 mph uses less fuel than taking 30 seconds to reach the same speed (this will also save you from a stray bullet from the guy in the dually).
· Close the car windows and run the A/C. Conserving on A/C does not really help. Especially at high speeds. Be comfortable on your journey…you cheapo!
Some refer to these driving techniques as hypermiling. Most of these techniques improve your car’s fuel efficiency by reducing the demands placed on the engine.So, it’s possible to improve fuel economy by 37% just by changing the way your drive. But, there are also some hypermiling methods that are controversial and could pose an element of danger…such as riding in a tractor trailer’s draft.Not cool, dude.
So, use your noodle.Also… Check out my April 19 blog if you’re really serious about conserving on fuel.
Until next week… Cool it on the fuel.
(Daun is a comedienne, writer and artist residing in Dallas)