If you were a stranded motorist, AAA used to be the best thing to have. If you can afford it. Now, most insurance companies offer roadside assistance and towing for a nominal fee.

In Texas, there is an 800 number printed on the back of your driver license or ID card for roadside assistance and emergencies. If your car is disabled on a state or federal roadway in Texas, you can call the number to report a need for non-emergency assistance.

However, the roadside assistance number is so tiny that you may need a magnifying glass to read it. So, if you are the stranded motorist, the number is also printed on the registration sticker in your windshield and much easier to read.

The roadside assistance service will only change a tire or put a little gas in your car. They will not tow your vehicle. Keep in mind, your vehicle has to be stranded on the freeway. They will not assist you if you are on an exit or entrance ramp, on the access road or anywhere else, other than the freeway or roadway. It is not for emergencies and not a substitute for 9-1-1 and not for questions regarding the department of public safety.

The tollway (toll authority) patrols the toll roads, while TXDOT patrols other roadways.

So your I.D. or driver license is good for more than picking a lock or opening a door.

Until next week…


Daun Thompson

Writer / Comedienne / Artist

A Stranded Motorist – Comedy Defensive Driving